Departing the Mounts Bay Rd motorcycle parking area under the freeway in Perth, heading south to the suburb of Atwell.
The camera was mounted under the headlight on my Honda ST1300A, set to take photos every second at a image resolution of 11 megapixels and with a field of view of 170 degrees.
I used Windows Movie Maker to put them together with a playback rate of 20fps.
Images taken by the camera are stored in folders on the memory card, with a maximum of 999 each folder. So, to take this series, they were placed in 3 folders.
When I went to view the images on the camera’s screen after the sequence was taken I got no response at the “play” screen, but eventually came back to life. I then worked out what the problem was. The screen shows icons for videos, photos, bursts, etc. (for each mode) and with each the number of files in that category. The display stopped working while it was calculating how many images there were in the photo category. It wasn’t broken, it was just this screen that gave a slow response. So, beware – you should copy & then remove the photos ASAP to make it a little more responsive.
Images seem to sometimes take on a yellow-ish colour, this is most likely to do with the auto-white-balance varying with the changing light, being shot late in day, and changing angles to the sun.
Movie Maker was easy to use, I just had to add the separate folders for all of the images in the right order to make sure the sequence made sense. Then I dropped an MP3 for the soundtrack, added the title screens at the beginning, and hey-presto.
The 2240 images consume about 2GB of disk, with the resultant video about 325MB (on my disk – not necessarily YouTube). Processing time (3.4GHz Core-i7 & 16GB RAM) took about 8 minutes.
Since compiling the video and then placing on YouTube will effect the quality of each image, I’ve also attached below some of those captured for comparison, with their approximate location in the video.
I’m thinking that a timelapse would be good to show how slow it takes me to put up a tent, building IKEA furniture (several times each go), etc. The above was a doddle – and I’m pretty happy with the results.